Monday, April 29, 2019

Tanks! Tanks!! TANKS!!!

o/

Real life delayed our Şoarece scenario game by two weeks. The *official story* is that those wily Andurien rebels recaptured it before my FWL loyalists could try and move the beast to safety. So...it'll take (conveniently) about 2 weeks to recapture it, and our game will pick up from there. 

ooh, Condors...I foresee some side-slipping chaos in the future!

When I purchased that monster, I got several other used tanks in the same purchase, as well as another trio of tanks from Microworld games. I had 3 of the latter previously, but over estimating my ability to convert them into the myriad designs that my short attention span kept hopping to, I hacked 'em up pretty bad. 

Easy access to that useless, 1-ton infantry bay.

Ironically, I sold those poor wrecks for almost what I bought 'em for and used those funds to buy another three. Dunno if Microworld redid their molds or what, but the replacement tanks have even better casts than the the original ones had (and those were pretty good too)! Now though there are clearly defined rear hatches (previously I thought that area was just a gate that I filed flat), which makes these perfect for pre-3055 Goblin tanks

Aside from the addition of paint, these will otherwise remain as-is, not more conversion attempts/failures for them.

Proxies. Proxies everywhere...

The two Packrats are minis that I like, but with stats that I don't. Conversely, I like the stats of the Hetzer, but not it's sculpt (and despite a 20 ton difference in weight, the minis are approximately the same size). So, I sliced off the miniscule SRM off of the front, and replaced it with a bit to look like the barrel of an AC...so, they're now Hetzers. 

These are all now in the painting queue, though there's a big project coming up that'll gum up the works here shortly but I'll save that for a later post...


4 comments:

  1. The Goblin (and, actually, the Packrat as well) feel like they'd work better in a game more like 40K in scope, where individual Infantry Squads were actually relevant, rather than something like BT, where anything smaller than a Platoon isn't even worth paying attention to, and it takes at least a Company or two to be a substantial threat.

    Those Microworld Tanks look pretty cool regardless, tho, and the Packrat chassis convert surprisingly nicely into something that can reasonably pass for a Hetzer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well short attention span theater kicked in (again) and the packrats have switched roles. The green one is now a quad-MG toting medium (they have 10 & 20 ton versions, so why not a 15?) wheeled APC, and the red one is a command variant, complete with radar dish of the same (albeit, with just a single MG).

      I agree though, the packrat itself is more of a fluff vehicle, or at best a nuisance on the table top.

      As for the goblin, in order to match the mini, I moved the MG to the turret, at the expense of a 1/2 ton of already not used infantry capacity. Now its more like an Israeli 'tankbulance'. In table top terms though, the 1/2 ton infantry bay is just ignored.

      Delete
  2. I'll admit I've got more than a few Goblins, Hetzers, and even the Packrats but then I like the look of all of them even if they pretty much never see the tabletop other than a few of the Hetzers. I think you just have to find something you like the look of and go for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The LRM or AC-10 Hetzers always worked best for me, haven't fielded any in years though.

      I wouldn't mind getting more goblins of the above type, however I already have almost a company of armor (Soarece excluded), and doubt I'll have much need for more than that. I plan on painting them all in a 'generic' camo color scheme (the same as my partisan), so they won't be faction specific.

      Delete