Monday, August 26, 2019

My birthday presents are starting to arrive!

Wait till you see what will be placed in that open space next to that parking lot!

For my birthday (44, WTF?!?) my Beloved Wolfy and my awesome in-laws got me a Visa gift card with the instructions of: go buy some toys! 

Gladly!

I had wanted to get some terrain from Steelwarrior studios, however the gift card was only valid in the United States, whereas Steelwarrior is located in Canada. Disappointing, but not the end of the world (and I'll save that set for my Christmas wish list). There are other options for terrain, but I'll get to those in my next post after they arrive later this week. As for what has already arrived? well keep reading:


A perfect fit!

First up, I bought a 36" x 36" gaming mat with a battletech hex grid printed on it from Mats by Mars. Its vinyl, water proof, and I can even use dry-erase markers on it were I so inclined (I'm not). It was a bit pricey but I'm happy with it. In the future I may get another (assuming I start running out of room for terrain) and just trim it down to fit side by side with this one, and thus covering the whole of my game table. 

BTW clan players, if you like the IIC's ATM 12 variant, you can easily do that with this missile plate sprue!

Next, from Aries Miniatures, I bought a trio of Hunchback IICs and some generic missile launcher face plates to use as Inner Sphere Hunchback HBK-4N 'Swaybacks'. I love the hunchback's stats, but have never been a fan of the model, and can't afford anymore Aussie MWO sculpts due to them being cost prohibitive. I do like the clan IIC model though and after Aries confirmed that the missile plate ought to be 'workable' to use on the IIC's guns, I bought 'em for some conversions. 

They fit perfectly! Seriously, its like they were made for one another. The simple solution for using these is to simply make a record sheet, with the weapons rearranged to match these minis. That said, I'll likely to custom refits as well. The most basic swapping the 2 LRM-5s and shedding 1 medium laser to fit in an LRM-10. Also, an easy War of 3039 upgrade from that would be to swap out the nigh useless small laser for C.A.S.E. to protect against ammo explosions. Beyond that, these now scream for an MRM-10 refit as well. 

Stay tuned for the next set of toys that I'll also be showing off like an annoying little kid at Christmas, lol! 


4 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! Very cool stuff there. Those Hunchbacks look great, and that high quality map is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you & thank you! Yes they work surprisingly well for IS Hunchbacks. Can't wait to use the map whenever we play next. Been working on terrain which arrived yesterday, whilst watching the tracking info for my other purchase with some trepidation as it has now literally circled Tennessee without actually stopping here. :-/

      Delete
    2. I don't think that's actually physically possible for here, unless they put it on a boat up to Alaska or something, but I have had one go from Missouri to Minnesota, and then back to Missouri, almost all the way to the starting point, work west to California, and then come up I-5 to make it here. FedEx: It's a hell of a drug ;)

      Delete
    3. lol, well yeah, circling you in the same way would require freighters and ferries. Tracking is sometimes as much of a curse as it is a blessing it seems.

      I figured it out yesterday (resulting in a subsequent Facebook rant), that the approximate driving route from Dallas, TX to me here in TN is approx. 1000 miles. Whereas as tracking my package from one location to the next (its presumably on a truck somewhere between Memphis and here, which is basically the WHOLE state), the total mileage for this shipment will clock in at a little over 2400 miles!

      Efficiency at it's finest.

      Delete