Friday, August 5, 2022

Happy Birthday Hoss!

Hoss: The Man. The Myth. The Legend.

I took a bit of a hiatus both on this here blog, and with playing Battletech in general. Of my few BT opponents: Kushial's new job more or less caused his hobby time to evaporate. It all but takes an act of Congress to get a game in with Rob (and while we've had recent success with 40k, BT games take decidedly longer). 

Screech deployed to a desert, half a world away for the better part of a year. That said, he's back now and trying to coax the local Battletech players back to the tabletop.

Lastly there was Hoss. 

Hoss is all over this blog. Battle reports, such as the pic above which is from only a few posts ago, taken after his first 1-shot-kill of a mech (my Dragon), followed shortly thereafter by the messy demise of my Hunchback. The last comment received on here was by Hoss on the previous post recapping our last game in October of 2021. 

Sadly, it was to be our last ever game. 

Hoss never painted any mechs for PANDA-MONIUM (that I know of anyways), but I'm guessing his colors would have looked something like this.

Hoss, the wily, entertaining and all too AWESOME commander of the PANDA-MONIUM mercenary company passed away unexpectedly about 6 months ago. The pic top was blown up to 20" x 30" or so by another lifelong friend of his and now hangs in the local FLGS where it was taken.

He may have had more black on the arms and legs in proper 'panda' fashion, however I don't think that would have looked too well on this Shadowhawk.

Today is Hoss' birthday. It would make me happy if everyone wished him a happy birthday wherever they are. You don't have to post it on here, though I won't complain if you do. Rather just say a few quiet words for an amazing gamer who has moved on into the light. 

This mini will forever reside in my display case in fond memory of Hoss.


Hoss, today and every day I hope you find yourself surrounded family, friends, and Pandas. Happy Birthday buddy. 


4 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! It's weird not going into anywhere local and not running into him. I used to encounter him in all the expected and unexpected places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday, never got to BT with him, but got to have a few trial games of Infinity. He was always fun to hang out with around the gaming table. I definitely need to get back up there sometime even if just to hang out a bit. Had my own health issues back in Oct/Nov so know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that you had some problems, though glad to hear that yo've since recovered. Yeah Infinity was a game I could never wrap my head around. Hoss knew those frontwards, backwards & sideways. He could read a rulebook and immediately know how to play a game!

      Delete