Thursday, October 3, 2019

Its red and black all over again...

o/


The other day I decided to just paint a mech in whatever caught my fancy and I ended up doing red trimmed with black. In hindsight, this proved to be reminiscent of the Kell Hounds (okay, a direct copy), there are several other units within the battletech universe with the same color scheme as well due to a collective lack of imagination I guess. 

I've never been a fan of the Hounds due largely to the lame 'phantom mech' incident. You're targeting equipment can't get a lock? How bout you line up your guns visually on the mech sitting right the fuck in front of you and then just pull the trigger?   So dumb. If ever there was a textbook case of 'plot armor' that was it.

Amusingly, I realized that this color scheme is just a reverse of the commission I did of my buddy Dana's Night's Watch mercenaries.

Ya know...I'm betting a Kell Hounds decal would look perfect in that black triangle on the Swayback's rear...


Other obvious choices are the FedSun's Robinson Rangers (though they usually use an Orky red/black camo) and possibly the various Draconis March militias, and speaking of Draconis,  these scream the Swords of Light to me even though that brigade doesn't use black trim (well, officially).

Like The Night's Watch, these also paint up quickly and painlessly, and I cranked out both a Swayback and my last Whitworth in just a few hours. With a bit of luck I'll manage to paint up at least a lance, if not a demi-company's worth before burnout sets in, but we'll see... 

1 comment:

  1. It's a good look, I can see why it's common. And yeah, the Phantom Mech thing was complete bullshit.

    ReplyDelete