Monday, September 23, 2019

It's the great pumpkin Charlie Brown!

I've never been a fan of the Atlas. The whole 'unstoppable mech' myth is a fallacy that I'm quickly proving now that I have one in my collection. Then there's the terrifying death's head/skull mask sculpted head...yeah no. To me, it's always looked like a jack-o-lantern. As such, now that I have one and am likely to only ever going to have just one, I saw little option to but to realize that pumpkin visage.

Its the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown!

Terrifying as it may not be, I think it actually goes quite well with bizarre and seemingly ineffective blue/khaki camouflage of the 16th Lyran Regulars. The 16th is a unit with next to no history...in fact, it's odd color scheme (chosen to reasons unknown) is about all it is known about it and even then that's thanks only to camospecs. Still, such a camo scheme isn't without precedent...

Image copyright of Tank's Encyclopedia.
Its a great site, you should go there often!

Also of note is the half-buried wreck of a Whitworth in snake Draconis Combine colors. That was my 3rd Whitworth, however it was a plastic one I got from Hoss. Whilst it worked as well as any of the others I have on the table top, I just couldn't reconcile the differences in the sculpt vs. it's metal counterparts. So, I sawed it in half and used it as basing material. The Commando from the new starter box suffered the same fate, only it was because I just don't like Commandos. 

Whilst I don't agree with the sentiment, in the opinions of most would agree that the Whitworth is only fit for basing material. 

At this time...I only have a single heavy lance intended for the 16th Lyrans, but as with so many collections, we shall see...





4 comments:

  1. Yeah, that seems like a good use of a Whitworth to me ;)

    I actually tried to test out the "Atlas vs. a Battalion of Stingers" thing in MegaMek once. My computer isn't good enough to run a full Battalion, tho, so I tried it with just a Company. They absolutely demolished the Atlas, only losing a couple of Stingers in the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, I thought you'd say that!

      Yeah personally, I'd think a battalion of Stingers would run roughshod over most anything too big and slow to keep em out of their rear arcs.

      Delete
    2. I kinda suspected that caption might be directed at me to some extent ;)

      Also forgot to mention, I actually really like that Great Pumpkin colour scheme. Looks much better than the usual white on black skull face.

      Delete