Monday, June 5, 2023

My first impressions of Alpha Strike

 o/

R.I.P little Urbie, R.I.P...

Welp, after about a month of no gaming, I managed to get in a demo game of Alpha Strike with my buddy Screech, with my son Frankie in tow.

The 2/3 that managed to show up. I gave Frankie control of the medium lance whereas I took the light lance. Originally I had planned to split the tanks between us but it was not to be.

Frankie liked the idea of learning a game at the same time as i was, and having only read the same set of 'quick start' rules. I do have the rulebook for AS, but like most rulebooks that I own, I've done little more than look at the pictures and their captions. I'm far more likely to learn a ruleset by muddling thru a game of it than I am to read the rules beforehand.

Screech's unidentified Steiner force was suffering from budget cut and as such, were left without any funds to apply the regimental color scheme to any of their mechs.

300 points seems to be the 'typical' size for AS here locally, and conveniently my Dixie CTM clocks in at just that amount. However much to my surprise/dismay, when I was pulling out our forces at the FLGS, I remembered that I had transferred all of my tanks and infantry to another case which was still at home. 

Urbies have an Impressive (well, for an Urbie) movement rate of 4", which is for both jumping and on foot! That said, they have have a big whopping '0' for a Total Movement Modifier. 

As such, with my heavy armor lance not present, the game was scaled back to 175 points, and I informed Frankie that we were likely doomed without all of our big guns. Hell, it was both a weeknight and a learning game anyways, so what did it matter really?

Flanking maneuver in-progress...

This pics in this post are more of a highlight reel as I only took a few being more interested in getting a feel for the ruleset. Overall its not bad, though I can't say that I expect to like it more than the 'Classic' ruleset (no doubt much to Kushial's delight as he has no interest in AS). 

In the heat haze of heavy combat, Screech's mechs actually blended fairly well with the environs of the battlefield (note: the ubiquitous 'crotch shot' of my opponent in the background). 

I can see what Catalyst is aiming for though and Frankie seemed to enjoy himself. He did say he'd play it again whereas I've never bothered with trying to teach him classic as he lacks the attention span needed for it. I've heard it said that AS is more of a gateway drug into BattleTech and indeed I have to agree with that. 

The Hunchback HBK-4N was the first to mech to fall, much to my surprise as I was expecting the first kill to be a slow and fragile Urbie instead.

In all honesty, AS is fast paced enough, and units fragile enough that out-right kills are so much more common than in Classic that My Beloved Wolfy might have actually enjoyed this ruleset. For those who don't know, I'm referring to my late wife who was a gamer but HATED BattleTech as it 'impossibly made giant stompy robots boring'. For those who knew her, and her special loathing of BattleTech, that is a HUGE compliment to the design team!

Screech isn't offering advice here, but is rather looking at our cards to see which mech of ours is likely to fall next. Schmuck.

We tried the pilot die optional rule, where you roll 1 differently colored D6 and then another for every point of damage in your range bracket to simulate the possibility of some weapons hitting and some not, rather than the all or nothing approach. Honestly, I can see some form of that approach to shooting bleeding back into Classic. Although my little 14 section mini-tackle box filled with dice does a fine job on its own. 

The Warhammer went down next though an Urbie and commando went with it. Luckily Screech kinda blew his die rolling a little and the Uziel managed to hang on with 1 point of structure left!

All in all it was fun and definitely worth trying again. I don't think it'll displace Classic BattleTech (for me anyways), and I look forward to tryout some more lists with it in the future. Screech won with three kills to our one.

Alas poor Urbie, I knew him...


No comments:

Post a Comment