Wednesday, September 20, 2023

The 100pt game experiment

 o/

Surprisingly my Javelin would survive this point blank exchange, but only to fall a turn later.

Why not right? We normally play 300 points at the FLGS, with Frankie and I splitting our force into two, 150 point halves which easily are played against one another when playing at home. That said, our 150 point home games, tend to take a bit too long for school nights (or so Mom says). We usually don't start to play until after dinner, so I trimmed the forces down to an even 100 points and starting at 6pm we finished up at about 8:30. Perfect!

Or was it?

The long range fire support units eye one another warily from a distance.

However, Frankie was less than enthused about not having a pure, speed freaks type of lance. Having not played in a good while, and only having a Wolfhound with a 12" movement and a Spider with a 16" movement, he lapsed into his noob, uber defensive mode. His lance was rounded out with a 4N Hunchback and a skill 3 Hatchetman 3F for his commander. 

While his Spider and Wolfhound went to the flanks and the Hunchback up the middle (briefly), he basically hid his Hatchetman in the back field as it was 'so slow that it was useless' (8" movement, just like the Hunchback). I tried to explain that by hanging back he was playing to my strengths, to no avail. I had two WTH-1 Whitworths, a skill 3 Blackjack BJ-1 and a fast moving 10N Javelin, making for a medium fire lance where both Whitworths halved the medium and long range modifiers. 

Urban combat, not the Whitworth's favorite place to be. 

Pointing out that only the Javelin had a greater than 8" movement on my side, and that his Hunchback was the best mech on the table, not to mention the Hatchetman's lance mates were likely screaming over comms to get into the fight did little to motivate him to bring it into range. It maybe fired 2 shots all game, and spent most of its time in hiding. 

Frankie, lamenting his poor dice rolls. 

His dice were not rolling well and effectively outnumbering him 3-4 at the outset, the end results were predictable. Not even his 6 rerolls were of much use. In the end I lost the Javelin, whereas he lost the Wolfhound and Hunchback, and the Spider was rendered weaponless.

Trying to balance out a pure, high speed lance with a more rounded one at such a low points total wouldn't be easy in my opinion. Of course he complained (every turn) that the Spider only moves at 16" a turn. I had to remind him that not every mech moves like a Mercury, not to mention I only have one Mercury in my collection. 

The final pic taken after the weaponless Spider and barely damaged Hatchetman fled the field. Frankie wanted to memorialize all of his bad rolls with a display of ones.
Note: the tanks were just terrain.

As such, I'm calling this one a bust. I'll see if I can come up with a decent 100pt speed daemon list & something to effectively oppose it. Otherwise I guess that I'll just stick with our usual 150pt lists (I don't think he has the attention span to run a full 300pt list on his own). If the games run long, we can just leave them at the end of a turn and finish up the game the next day (one of the benefits of having a gaming area at home). 


Edit: I made him a 100pt speed freak list this morning and while fast, it's damage potential is kinda meh, and its mechs are fragile as hell...

2 comments:

  1. I feel like his Mech army theme song will be Alan Jackson "Mercury Blues" cause he's crazy bout a Mercury ....

    ReplyDelete